Tuesday, June 9, 2009

blaahs

We all go through the phase when we are not interested in anything. Even our most passionate hobbies. Writing is no exception.
I found when I am in this mode I can afford a couple of days away from writing, but that is it.
I know from experience that you can't let go much longer than that without drying out your creative juices.
I have seen it with other writers and experienced myself, the longer you stay away from writing the harder it is to get back into the rhythm of writing.
Treat writing like a job. You go to work when you don't feel like it, you have to write when you don't feel like it too.
One trick that works for me is critiquing what I have already written. This seems to help me get back into the world I am creating.
As for anyone else, I guess you will have to stumble on to what works for you. The key is to keep writing.

1 comment:

  1. As an author too, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes you have to 'unplug' and let your batteries 'recharge.'

    I find that much of the material I draw from to create and write comes from my own life experiences or reactions, and if I spend too much time stressing at the computer about a story, or worrying about finances or other situations, my creativity goes out the window and I can't concentrate well enough to string two sentences together. Not feeling well, being upset by something, having unexpected company in the house, anything out of the routine, can do this.

    But then of course there is the need to shake up one's routine and add some new experiences to the mix. This is where new ideas may come from. Go on vacation, go for a walk, go to a movie, visit some friends, have fun. Forget about your worries. And suddenly, before you even realize it, your writing mind will be plotting again.

    -Willa Kaye Danes

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, we no longer allow readers to comment anonymously due to increase in spam. Please sign in and identify security letters to verify you are a human user and not a spam generator.